Tuesday 14 April 2015

Home Dying Your Hair: What NOT to do!!

Home Dying Your Hair: What NOT to do!!
 
Now, if you’re like me (16), you do not like paying a hairdresser vast amounts of money to do your hair, you’d much rather get a few cheap things from the chemist and give it a go... but a lot of the time it can turn into a hair horror story!!
 
I know there’s been warnings about this already from our hair expert Shauna, but I’m here to give you the inside story of what the aftermath is like.
 
So, a few years ago I’d dyed my hair dark brown... and then red... and then dark purple... and then just all out black! Then one day, I decided I wanted to go blonde, like bleach blonde!!
 
So I stripped my hair not once, but THREE times!! Okay, the first two times I bleached it I had to go to a good hairdresser and try to put it right!
 
Naomi hair orange
 
After the second visit to the hairdresser I did come back blonder, but that wasn’t enough for me, so I bleached the whole thing again at home, and got it near white. Then the obvious thing to do then of course was dye it blue and then green! And bleach out the purple and go all blue!
 
Naomi blue hair hair green
 
I can tell you I absolutely ADORED having colourful hair, but here is when my story takes a turn for the worst.
 
School was coming up and my hair was still bright blue. No amount of scrubbing it in the shower with Head & Shoulders shampoo (the internet said this would work!) would get it out tip: don’t leave the colour in for hours when it says 20 minutes because you want it to last all summer even when it it says semi-permanent! In my mind, pretty much my only option at that point was to bleach it out… again. That is if I didn’t want to get suspended from school or worse!!
 
So, I put in the bleach and waited.
 
The result was straw like hair with the ends breaking off if I even touched them... and my hair wasn’t even blonde!!  It was a rather delicious shade of turquoise! My hair felt disgusting for months after that, it was frizzy, dead and completely fried. I bought every product based on hot oil treatments, or Argan oil shampoos and conditioners, but even with all that it took months and months to get my hair healthy again, even now two years later my ends are still split! Even though the hairdresser told me I have VERY strong hair, I would hate to imagine how it would’ve gone if I had fine hair.
 
Now I’d have to say some of the best treatments that worked well were: ‘Schwarzkopf Got2b Oil-licious’ with (yes, you guessed it) Argan Oil! And also something I got from Penneys, 'Argan Oil from Morocco with added Keratin', which has worked wonders!
 
hair now (2)
 
So my advice? Know what you’re getting yourself into. If you’re going to home dye your hair, be prepared for possible uneven colouring, and your hair half falling out!! HAVE A BACK-UP PLAN, I would not suggest going through with it unless you’re prepared for the likelihood of paying someone who knows what they’re doing to fix it!
 
Eventually I did get back to blonde, but I still have hints of pink from last summer!
 
Lots of love Naomi x
 
If you have any questions for Naomi please mail us on info@foreverfabulous.ie
 
Hair Products used
Quickblue bleach by L’Oreal
30 volume Developer by L’Oreal
Semi-Permanent colours by Directions

No comments:

Post a Comment